The Topsfield Water Department has implemented a Mandatory Outdoor Water Use Restriction effective August 10, 2017 due to very low Ipswich River stream flow.
Outdoor water use is restricted to hand-held implements only before 9 AM and after 5 PM. The use of irrigations systems at any time is prohibited. The restrictions apply to public water customers and private well owners.
In addition to curtailing outdoor use the Water Department encourages the following conservation measures:
- Run your dishwasher and clothes washer only when full.
- Fix any leaks around the house.
- Install water efficient toilets, faucets and shower heads.
- Keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator, rather than running the faucet.
- Consider replacing water intensive lawns with a xeriscape (low water demand) flower garden.
The mandatory restrictions will be in effect until further notice but typically run through the end of September. Our water withdrawal permit issued by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection requires the implementation of this restriction when Ipsich River average daily flow at the Ipswich Gauge Station falls below 52.5 cubic feet per second for three consecutive days.